This summer, we had a LOT of rain, some sunshine and no extreme heat. Not fun. BUT, one thing that is positive about this is what it did to my vegetable garden… It bloomed incredibly!
My daughter and I harvested a lot of carrots and beets a few days ago and I did not want to compost the tops this time. I decided to make use of them instead, by trying a pesto recipe and the result is absolutely delicious!
Moral of this story: do NOT throw away the leaves of your carrots and beets anymore!
Carrot & Beet Top Pesto
Delicious, easy and quick to prepare. Do not throw away your carrot and beet tops anymore!
Write a review
- - 4 cups carrots tops, thoroughly rinsed and dried.
- - 4 cups beet tops, thoroughly rinsed, dried and chopped into smaller pieces.
- - 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- - 1 cup walnuts (or pine nuts if you prefer)
- - 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- - 1/2 cup Extra-virgin olive oil
- - 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- - salt and pepper to taste
- Put all the ingredients in a food processor. Mix well, until the pesto is to your desired smoothness. You can add more olive oil and lemon juice according to your own taste. Play with it a bit!
- Delicious with pastas, on a fresh summery cherry tomato salad or simply on grilled baguette, topped with grilled veggies!