I made these cupcakes this week and they literally disappeared in less than a day ! They are super moist, tasty and at less than 100 calories each, they are a total non-guilty treat!
This recipe is inspired and adapted from one that I had seen from the Biggest Loser’s Curtis Stone. The original recipe claims the cupcakes are only 60 calories but I have to say that they were not sweet enough for my taste and I found them to be a bit bland. So I modified them a bit and I think they now taste completely like real cupcakes !
The frosting is made with whipped coconut cream, which is incredibly creamy, delicious and lower in fat than regular whipped cream. It also has more nutritional value and it’s a great choice for people with lactose intolerance. To get the cream out of your can of coconut milk, you need to refrigerate your can at least an entire day. Once you open it, the cream will be solidified at the top and all you need to do is scoop it out of the can and whip it!
Cupcakes that taste great but have very little calories? We LOVE!!.
Credit: Julie Paillé (Adapted from Curtis Stone from The Biggest Loser)
- 5 egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt (I used Activia)
- 1/2 mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder For the frosting:
- 1 regular can (14 oz) coconut milk, refrigerated at least 24 hours.
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line a 12 muffin pan with cupcakes papers or spray with non-stick oil.
- In a bowl, combine the spelt flour and baking powder. Mix well.
- Whip the eggs whites on medium speed until whites begin to hold shape (about 4 minutes).
- Increase speed to high and whip in salt, vanilla extract and honey until you have peaks.
- Add the yogurt and whip another 30 seconds or so.
- Gently fold in the spelt flour and baking powder mixture (I used a spatula)
- Scoop batter into cupcakes evenly.
- Bake about 16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on a cooling rack. For the frosting: In another bowl, whip the coconut cream extracted from the refrigerated can (the coconut cream will be solidified at the top of the can. Scoop it all out and discard the liquid at the bottom) with the honey and vanilla extract until fluffy. Once cupcakes are cool, frost cupcakes and enjoy these totally guilt free treats!