incredibly delicious crusty bread is really quick to make. It literally takes 5 minutes to make. However, it does require patience, because you will not be able to sample it before the next day because it requires a good 12-18 hours of rising time. Trust me though, the wait is totally worth it and you’ll impress all your family and guests!
I my opinion, it is also the perfect hostess gift, as it is homemade and original. Put it in a nice reusable bread bag to make your gift even more interesting! Trust me, enjoying a wonderful slice of this heavenly loaf is sure to be greatly appreciated by your hostess the morning after entertaining you 🙂
The only trick in preparing your dough is to add the cocoa powder and the chocolate chips only once the other ingredients are almost all mixed. You don’t want a uniform chocolate flavour but little bursts of flavour here and there.
- 2 cups all purpose flour (plus 1-2 tablespoons if necessary)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (The best quality you can find)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (semi-sweet or dark, you choose)
- 1 1/2 cup room temperature water (plus 1-2 tablespoons if necessary)
- a few tablespoons extra flour for shaping the loaf
- Add the flours, yeast, salt and brown sugar to a large bowl. Stir the dry ingredients together well.
- Add the water and chocolate chips and stir until a thick, rough dough forms. Add 1-2 more tablespoons of water or flour if needed. Finally, incorporate the cocoa powder without mixing it too much within the dough.
- Shape the dough into a ball, placing it into the bottom of the bowl and covering the bowl tightly with plastic wrap.
- Leave the bowl on your kitchen counter and let rise for 12-18 hours (or up to 24 hours even). After the rising time, preheat your oven to 425F and place an oven-safe Dutch Oven pot in the cold oven and let it preheat with the oven, at least 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle a bit of flour on the dough and shape it into a round ball. Set it on a piece of parchment paper on a working surface dusted with flour. Cover with a clean kitchen towel, letting it rise while your Dutch Oven pot is being preheated in the oven.
- With you oven mitts on, remove the lid of your dutch Oven and place the dough into the pot. Put the lid on and bake for 30 minutes. When the 30 minutes are up, remove the lid of your dutch oven and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- After the baking time, remove the pot from the oven and transfer the loaf to a cooling rack.
- Cool completely before slicing.