This shredded chicken, Mexican style is the perfect filling for your tacos or fajitas nights! It is juicy, tender and quite low in fat. It is a much healthier filling option than ground beef and it tastes better!
On top of it, easier than that is pretty difficult to find! You literally just “dump” everything in a deep saucepan with a lid, bring to a boil and then let simmer for about 1h30, stirring every now and then to make sure that the stuff doesn’t stick to the bottom. Now I know that it’s going to feel strange not to have to saute the onions and garlic or brown your chicken in advance but…trust me, it’s going to turn out perfect! A child can do this. In fact, I recommend you to have your young kids put everything in the pot for you and get the credit for the final result! They will be so proud ??!!
After the 1h30 of cooking, you simply take two forks and shred the chicken right in the saucepan and then let it sit for a few minutes while it to absorb the liquids….
This chicken will make your house smell amazing and get your family to look forward to eating dinner!
I like to serve this filling in my Double-Layer Crunchy-Soft Cups for dinner, because you can portion out better for younger children (no waste!).
….They can also make fun appetizer snacks when you are having friends over. Like for your Super Bowl Sunday party ? for instance!
- - 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- - 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- - 1 onion, chopped
- - 2 garlic cloves, minced
- - 2 tbsp lemon juice
- - 1 jar salsa (430 ml) (I used medium, but the choice is up to your own taste)
- - 1 pouch Fajita seasoning packet
- - 1 tbsp corn starch, dissolved into 3 tbsp cold water
- salt & pepper
- In a large saucepan with a lid, bring everything to a boil. Add the dissolved corn starch & water.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 60 minutes, stirring the chicken every now and then to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom.
- Shred chicken in the pot with 2 forks and let it sit for a few minutes so that it absorbs the liquids.
- *Serve with the Double-Layer Crunchy-Soft Cups