Sometimes you want to have a cake right now. Baking a whole cake and all the time it requires just won’t do. There is a simple solution for that of course! A 5 minutes Mug Cake!?
There are about a million mug cakes recipes on the web, in magazines and in cookbooks. This one is special to me because I made it completely Vegan AND Paleo!It’s not too sweet and most importantly, it’s delicious and oh so quick to make when the chocolate cake craving comes!!!? This recipes calls for coconut flour, which I absolutely love because it’s grain-free, it’s very high in fiber and it has a low glycemic index. What’s more, it has a lot of great health benefits such as helping you maintain a healthy blood sugar level and have a healthy digestion, by lowering « bad » LDL cholesterol levels…. Not bad for an actual TREAT!
If you don’t need or want a vegan version of this cake, you can simply use an egg instead of a flax egg and regular milk chocolate chips rather than the vegan ones I used. You can also use any type of milk, it all works! (I tried with regular milk and soy milk)?
- 2 Tbsp (14 g) coconut flour ( I used Everland Organic Gluten Free Coconut Flour)
- 1 Tbsp (5 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) almond milk
- 1 flax egg (if you don't need or want a vegan option, use a 1 large egg instead)
- 1 Tbsp (5-10 g) vegan chocolate chips ( I used Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, Gluten, Dairy, nut & Soy Free, Mini Chips. This is optional, but so much more delicious!)
- Combine the coconut flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder in a microwave-safe mug or bowl.
- Add the maple syrup and almond milk, stirring until no clumps remain. Add the flax egg (or regular egg) and incorporate it well into the batter with a fork. Sprinkle the chocolate chip on top.
- Microwave on high for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from microwave, grab a spoon, and enjoy!
- * For 1 flax egg, combine 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds with 3 tbsp of water.