Sigh! Already end of August… Seriously, summer is just way too short of a season for my taste!
However, I am not ready to give up my BBQ so easily….There are still many warm days to be enjoyed !
As I already told you, I have a thing for meatballs. I think they are such great finger food on their own, plus they are adorable and perfect little portions that can fulfill every appetite in your family, big or small. These lamb meatballs are also stuffed with a bit of feta and fresh mint, which make them even more flavourful.
Served as gyros pitas with some lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and Tzatziki sauce, they make for a fantastic family meal.
- 1 lb (500 g) ground lamb
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 oz (85g) feta cheese, cut in little squares (approx. 20 squares)
- 4-6 pita bread
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together, except the feta and pita bread. Form into about 20 little meatballs and insert a feta square into each of them.
- Cook at medium heat on the bbq, turning the meatballs on all side and until cook through (about 10 minutes)
- You can either use the pita bread as they are or warm the in the micro-wave or wrap them tightly in aluminium foil and put them in the bbq in the last 5 minutes.
- Garnish your pita with lamb meatballs and your choice of toppings. Enjoy!
- Tzatziki sauce (I like the Yogurt Tzatziki from Fontaine Santé), chopped lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers.