There is a great little restaurant nearby called Le Petit Sao which specializes in Vietnamese food and I am just addicted to their “Bol Bun”, a vermicelli bowl with salad, veggies and a choice of grilled beef or pork.
My own version of a vermicelli salad bowl is quite different from the one I have when I go there, but it certainly does the trick when I don’t feel like going out or ordering in. I like to add my sauce and mix it in the skillet with the cooked vermicelli and shrimps before spreading it on the salad in the bowl, so that they absorb more of the flavours.
This recipe is super simple and it will take you about 20 minutes to make. Not bad for a week night dinner after a long day at work! ☺
- - 1 tbs. sesame oil
- - 1 lb Shrimps- shelled & deveined
- - 1 cup green lettuce sliced
- - 1 Lebanese cucumber, julienned
- - 1 big carrot, grated or julienned
- - 1 cup red cabbage sliced
- - ½ cup sliced fresh mint (or fresh cilantro)
- - 1 clove garlic minced
- - 1 onion, minced
- - ½ lb rice noodles (sometimes called vermicelli. sub angel hair, boiled and rinsed)
- – 2 tsp. low sodium soya sauce
- - 1 tbs fish sauce
- - 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- - 1tbsp peanut butter
- - 1 tbsp Sriracha sauce
- - 2 tbs lime juice
- – ⅓ cup, crushed peanuts for garnish (optional)
- In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients for the sauce and put aside.
- Divide the green lettuce, carrots, cucumbers and red cabbage in 2 serving bowls. Set aside.
- In a big bowl, put in vermicelli in boiling water and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, fry the onions until translucent. Add the garlic and the shrimps until they are pink and cooked through.
- Drain the vermicelli and add to the skillet. Add the sauce and stir well.
- Divide the vermicelli mixture on the 2 serving bowls.
- Garnish with peanuts (optional)
- Serve and enjoy!