I love scallops! However, with their price tag, they are a definite treat to be enjoyed on special occasion if you want to have them a meal. But one other way to enjoy this delicacy without breaking the bank is to buy only a few and serve them as a very celebratory appetizer.
I created this recipe with a few of my favourite ingredients and it turned out to be absolutely DE-LI-CIOUS!!
Easy and quick to prepare and it looks fabulous. Perfect as little hors d’oeuvre also by themselves, served in individual asian-style spoons or as an appetizer, like I did, on a small rectangular plate.
- - 8 large scallops, trimmed.
- - 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- - 2 tablespoons roasted sesame seeds
- - 2 egg whites, whisked.
- - 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- - 1 ripe avocado
- - 1 tsp lime juice
- - Salt and pepper to taste
- - 1 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped (for garnish)
- - 2 tbsp Sweet soya sauce* (or more to taste)
- Preheat your oven at 400F. Prepare a sheet pan by lining it with parchment paper and coating it very lightly with the Extra virgin olive oil.
- In a shallow dish, mix together the Panko and sesame seeds.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg whites.
- Dunk each scallop in the egg whites and then roll in the panko-sesame seeds mix. Place on the sheet pan.
- Bake in oven about 10 minutes, turning the scallops about halfway.
- Meanwhile, emulsify the avocado with a hand blender or mash with a fork until it is completely pureed. Mix in Lime juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Once the scallops are done, remove from oven and place immediately on plates (2 per person). put a dollop of avocado mousse on top and drizzle with sweet soya glaze. Garnish with chives.
- *Sweet Soya Glaze: To make your own, in a saucepan, put 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup soya sauce, 2 tbsp rice vinegar and 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger. Bring to a boil while stirring slowly, about 10 minutes or until the mix has reduced of about 1/3. The sauce is ready when you can coat the back of a spoon with it. This glaze will keep up to 6 months in the fridge, if you put it in an airtight container.