So, for most of us I think, back to school is done and summer break is definitely over…Sigh! Personally, I just am quickly waking up to the fact that yep! I’ll have to make lunches again and think about preparing good afternoon snacks that will help me keep our sanity until dinner time, without that incessant nagging of “When are we eating…I am sooooo hungry!!!”. Well, this incredibly delicious apple bread is a perfect solution to that.
With fall looming around the corner, I have to admit that I do like many, many aspects of this season…Like wood fires, warm sweaters, changing leaves, the nice cool morning air…and of course it’s apple season!!
This amazing apple bread will make you appreciate this upcoming fall even more! While being incredibly delicious AND healthy, it’s a perfect snack for you and for those ever-starving kids after school, as well as a greatly appreciated hostess gift for your next get-together!
- - 1/3 cup brown sugar
- - 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- - 1/3 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- - 2 eggs
- - 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- - 2 (or 3) apples, core removed, peeled and sliced in rough pieces (I used McIntosh variety because they are my favorites and they are in season)
- - 1/4 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt (greek or other, I used Activia)
- - 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- - 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- - 3/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- - 1 tbsp baking powder
- - 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- - 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- - 1/2 teaspoon salt
- - 1 cup chopped pecans
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350 °F. Coat a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine the flours, wheat germ, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream the butter, and brown sugar for about 1 minute until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, the applesauce, the yogurt and the vanilla. Beat until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and mix until it's a smooth batter. Add the apples and wpecans and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool before unmoulding and slicing.