Meatballs!! They are not just so cute, they are pretty much loved by everyone aren’t they? Or course, I like them in my spaghetti with a simple marinara sauce. But I wanted to create a recipe that would be Asian-style, sticky, sweet and savoury that we could eat simply on a bed of rice (or quinoa) and roasted veggies or, even better, serve them by themselves as adorable and delicious little bites.
I also LOVE sheet pan dinners. An who doesn’t? It’s easy and the cleaning is so much quicker! So I thought, why not combine my love of meatballs and for the easiness of sheet pan dinners?
These meatballs are FULL of flavour and, with the sticky, Asian-style sauce, they taste like heaven! This type of meal is exactly what we need for busy weeknights dinners. It could be even more quickly executed if you already have the meatballs in the freezer (you can make the meatballs in advance, freeze them on a sheet pan and, once completely frozen, transfer them to a sealed freezer bag until ready to use. They will keep for up to 6 months in the freezer. Just let them thaw out in the fridge for at least 4 hours before using them).
The sauce can also be made in advance and reheated when you’re ready to eat. Basically, all you’ll have to do on these hectic weeknights, is throw the meatballs on your sheet pan, along with your veggies. Let it all bake while you reheat the sauce and cook your rice. You’ll have yourself a delicious & healthy meal in about 20 minutes. How cool is that?
- -1½ lbs (about 600 gr) ground pork
- -¾ cup Panko
- -1 large eggs
- -2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce (I used Kikkoman)
- -1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- -1 garlic clove, minced
- -1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- -1 green onions, chopped
- -¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- -Salt and pepper
- -1 teaspoon roasted sesame oil
- -1 garlic clove, minced
- -1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- -½ cup low sodium soya sauce
- -¼ cup water
- -½ cup honey
- -¼ cup hoisin sauce
- -2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- -2 tbsp Mirin
- -1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- - 1 Red bell pepper, sliced
- - 1 lbs green asparagus, trimmed and cleaned
- - 1 large zucchini, sliced thinly lengthwise
- - ½ lbs sugar snap peas
- - 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat your oven at 400 F.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the meatball ingredients until well-combined. Spoon out 1-inch of meat mixture with your hands and shape into balls. Place on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Mix the veggies with the olive oil and arrange on the pan around the meatballs.
- Roast in the oven about 15 minutes, turning the veggies and the meatballs halfway.
- While this is baking, mix all the ingredients in a saucepan for the sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer until the meatballs and veggies are ready.
- Dip each ball into the sauce to coat, put them back on the pan and bake for another 2 minutes.
- In individual bowls, serve the meatballs and veggies (on top of steamed rice or quinoa if desired) and spoon a little sauce over.
- Alternatively, you can also serve the meatballs and sauce as little bites in individual serving spoons with a toothpick inserted in the middle. So adorable!
I tried these Asian-style sticky meatballs last night for supper and they are super tasty! The sauce is absolutely delicious and the perfect match! My family unanimously decided that this recipe is a keeper! I love recipes that don’t take up much of my time, are easy to prepare, taste great and the clean up is a breeze. Thank you!
Conny, this comment literally just made my day!! I LOVE when people tell me that they have tried a recipe and I especially enjoy hearing that they liked it 🙂 Thanks a bunch for this wonderful comment