Prune is a fruit with a truly undeserved bad reputation. True, its high fiber content makes it a good choice if you need it. But prunes are not just about that! They are also packed with antioxydants and, while they do taste sweet, their low glycemic index makes them a fantastic choice if you are watching your blood sugar levels.?
The honey, bananas and walnuts are perfect complements to the prunes in these incredibly healthy muffins. And did I mention that there is absolutely NO OIL OR BUTTER in this recipe?? By the way, they are only 138 calories per muffin so don’t feel bad if you eat more than one ?!
This recipe is really easy and it’s all made in one single bowl, which means of course less cleaning, more enjoying!?
- -1/2 cup dried , unpitted, unsweetened prunes, chopped
- -Boiling water just to cover the prunes
- -1 cup whole wheat flour (or whole spelt flour)
- -1/2 cup wheat bran
- -2 teaspoons baking powder
- -1/4 teaspoon salt
- -1 very ripe banana, roughly mashed
- -1/2 cup almond milk (or other milk of choice)
- -1 large egg
- -1/2 cup honey (or maple syrup)
- -1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven at 350 F.
- In a glass jar, pour the boiling water on the prunes and let it sit until it's cooled down. Drain any excess liquid, if any.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, wheat bran, baking powder and salt.
- Make a funnel in the middle of the dried ingredients and pour in all the other ingredients.With a wooden spoon, mix just enough to combine (don't over do it).
- Bake for about 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.