Since I feel like we can never have too many ideas for breakfast and that it’s always nice to break off from the routine, I am always on the lookout for new recipes. They are not only DELICIOUS and completely VEGAN, they are also packed with plant-based protein and Lactose & gluten free!!?
I stumble upon some quinoa oatmeals ideas in one of my magazines and I thought that looked interesting but…one thing led to another and I decided that a “grab and go” breakfast would be nicer this time. So why not merge the two ideas and make quinoa breakfast bars?
I decided to make them with cranberries, orange and dates, because to me, these flavours rime with morning glory?. These squares only contain (very little) unrefined sugar, but they will satisfy your sweet tooth just the same with the sweetness of the cranberries and dates!
They are the perfect breakfast on the go, but they work also really well as an afternoon or a pre-workout snack. They will fill you up for hours!
- - 1½ cups quick cooking oats
- - 1½ cups cooked quinoa (I used white, but you could another colour for a different look)
- - 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- - Zest of 1 orange
- - a pinch of salt
- - 1 tsp baking powder
- - ½ tsp baking soda
- - ½ cup almond butter at room temperature
- - ½ tsp pure almond extract (don't use the fake one, it will ruin your recipe!)
- - ¼ cup maple syrup
- - ½ cup apple sauce
- - ⅓ cup almond milk
- - ¼ cup cranberries
- - ¼ cup chopped dates
- - ¼ cup chopped raw almonds
- Preheat your oven at 350 degrees F.
- Line an 9 inches square cake pan with parchment paper or spray with cooking oil and set aside
- In a bowl, mix the first 7 ingredients together.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix well.
- Press evenly into the cake pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the edges are starting to brown a bit.
- Let cool a full 10 minutes before slicing into 16 squares.