If you are too busy in the mornings to prepare breakfast and (gasp!) still rely on those sugary, full-fat, store-bought muffins for breakfast, let me share with you a recipe for -really- healthy muffins. They will keep you full for hours and they contain very little sugar and oil, but are packed with good ingredients.
You can easily double the recipe and freeze a dozen for future use and you’ll have a perfect breakfast ready to eat for days…that is if you can keep from eating a whole batch at once ?
- - 2 cups whole organic spelt flour (or whole wheat flour)
- - 4 tsp baking powder
- - 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- - 1 very ripe banana, mashed
- - 1/2 cup finely chopped dates
- - 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- - 1 large egg, whisked
- - 150 ml milk of choice (regular, almond or soy)
- - 50 ml. vanilla yogurt
- - 1/3 cup maple syrup (+ about 1tbsp to brush the muffins after baking - optional)
- - 1/2 cup frozen raspberries
- Preheat the oven at 350.
- Spray a 12 cup muffin tray with non-stick cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- Mix all the ingredients together, adding the frozen raspberries only at the very end to keep them from thawing (they will keep their shape better when baking).
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean. Let cool for about 5-10 minutes before enjoying.
- Optional: You can brush the muffins lightly with about 1 tbsp of maple syrup when they are still warm for added sweetness...Yum!