I love slow cooker recipes. Especially when they don’t require too much prepping, browning or chopping! This is a delightful recipe because it takes about 10 minutes to prepare in the morning, put it all in your slow
cooker and let it do its thing! You can forget about it for a few hours (6-8 hours but you can leave it up to 10 hours), while you enjoy your life, play outside or…leave for work (yes, we do have to do that sometimes, don’t we?).
Once it’s done, you simply remove the meat and set it aside. Transfer the sauce into a saucepan and bring to a boil in order to thicken it and reduce it. Then you put the meat back in the sauce and…let’s just say that you will not need a knife to eat it!
I like to serve it simply on a bed of rice, with chopped green onions and sesame seeds on top and a green salad on the side.
- - 2 lbs skirt steak, cut across the grain in 1 inch strips.
- - 1/4 cup corn starch
- - 1 cup low sodium soya sauce
- - 3/4 cup cup brown sugar
- - 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
- - 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- - 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- - 2 cloves garlic, minced
- - 1 onion, chopped
- - 2 tbsp pepper flakes
- Decoration: toasted sesame seeds and 2 chopped green onions.
- Put the steak strips and the corn starch in a large ziploc bag (or in a large container with a tight lid) and shake well to coat all the beef pieces.
- Throw all the other ingredients (except the sesame seeds and green onions) into your slow cooker and stir well.
- Add the beef, cover and cook on low for about 6 to 8 hours (but it can cook for up to 10 hours).
- Remove the beef and set aside. Transfer all the sauce into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer until the sauce has thicken sufficiently. Put the meat back into the sauce.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and chopped green onions.
- Serve on a bed of rice and with a side of green salad.