Whoever first came up with an idea for a cauliflower mash as a fake mashed potatoes is pure genius! This will sound strange but they don’t taste much like cauliflower at all? Okay, it doesn’t exactly taste like potato mash but it does taste truly amazing and that’s all that counts right? Plus it doesn’t hurt that this mash cauliflower recipe contains approximately FIVE TIMES fewer calories than a regular homemade mash potatoes…??
You can swap your mashed potatoes with this mashed cauliflower in all of your recipes (Shepherd’s pie, I am talking to you!!), but of course it’s MUCH lighter and friendlier on your silhouette ?!
This mashed cauliflower is fluffy, luscious and it take less time than regular potato mash to make so there is no excuse to not make them!?
- - 1 medium cauliflower head, cut in small florets
- - 1 small onion, minced
- - 1 garlic clove, minced
- - 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- - 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- - 1 cup milk
- - Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a pot, sauté the onions in the butter at low heat for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, nutmeg, Cayenne pepper and Cauliflower florets. Stir to coat the florets. Add the milk and let simmer for about 15 minutes or until the florets are tender. (to avoid spills from the heated milk, put a wooden spoon on top of your pot.
- Once the Cauliflower is fork tender, drain most of the milk from the pot (keeping some 1/2 cup aside to add if needed once the cauliflowers is mashed).
- Mash with a handheld blender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- *You can refrigerate the Mashed Cauliflower for up to 4 days and simply reheat it in the microwave or on the stove.