This will replace your spicy chicken wings or fried crispy orange chicken bites. Whenever you are entertaining guests over or for any occasion, it’s a much better and healthier choice than the usual suspects alternatives (yeah, chips, nachos and other muchies, I am talking about you!)?!
The cauliflowers florets are dipped in whisked eggs, then coated with Panko breadcrumbs before baking them for about 15-18 minutes in the oven.
They come out absolutely, perfectly crispy and they still have a bite to them that is oh so satisfying! BUT, it’s the spicy-sweet dipping (or coating) sauce that is the game changer here! It’s luscious and sticky and just sweet enough…Just try to stop eating these delectable little bites before you see the bottom of the plate, it’s a challenge!
- - 1/2 head of large cauliflower, cut into bite sized florets
- - 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- - 2 large eggs
- - Salt and pepper
- - 1 tbsp orange marmelade
- - 1/4 cup orange juice
- - 1/4 cup honey
- - 2 tbsp ginger, minced
- - 1/4 cup soya sauce
- - 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- - 1 tbsp Sriracha (Beware, this will be very hot!! If you can't take too much heat, you can reduce this amount or omit completely)
- -1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved into 1-2 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs and set aside. In another bowl, put the Panko breadcrumbs.
- Dip cauliflower florets in egg mixture and shake off excess liquid.
- Dip florets into the bowl of breadcrumbs to coat well (no more than 3 or 4 florets at a time or they will stick together.
- Place florets on the baking sheet, making sure that they don't touch each other.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, turning them halfway. depending on your oven, they are ready when they start turning a nice golden brown and become crunchy.
- Meanwhile, for the sauce, add all the ingredients except the cornstarch into a saucepan. Bring to a boil for about 5 minutes. Add the cornstarch dissolved in water, whisk and lower the heat. Let simmer another 5 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- You can either use the sauce as a dipping sauce and place the crispy cauliflower on the side or you can mix the cauliflower and the sauce to eat it just like a crispy orange chicken with chopsticks. Two equally nice ways to enjoy them!
- *Add fresh chopped scallions and sesame seeds if desired.