Do delicious “skinny cretons” sound like an impossible dream to you? Dream no more because you found it! And not only is it a cinch to make, it doesn’t require a long list of ingredients. In fact, other than the milk, you probably have everything on hand already.
Cretons remind me of my childhood and of Christmas morning at my grandmother’s. A few bites of this delicious spread however will ruin your diet, since most cretons found in grocery stores or at your local baker’s are full of fat, which make them easily spreadable, and salt because who doesn’t like a salty treat?
I saw a recipe on my favorite website RicardoCuisine and it inspired me to try it (adding my own personal spin on it of course ?)
Perfect to serve with a french baguette and dijon mustard at your next Brunch or just as a mid-afternoon snack with celery sticks.
- -1 large onion, finely chopped
- -4 shallots, finely chopped
- -2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- -1 tbsp butter
- -1 lb lean ground pork
- -1 tbsp dijon mustard
- -1 cup wholewheat breadcrumbs (about 4 slices without the crust, coarsely crumbled)
- -1 cup soda crackers, crushed
- -1 cup skimmed milk
- -1/2 cup non-fat chicken broth
- -1 teaspoon chinese Five-Spice Powder
- -1/2 teaspoons (2.5 ml) ground dried savoury
- -Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven at 275 degrees F.
- In a deep non-stick saucepan with a lid, sweat the onion, shallots and garlic in the butter. Add the pork, dijon mustard, breadcrumbs, soda crackers, milk, chicken broth and Five-Spice powder and blend well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and remove immediately from the heat. Put in the oven for 30 minutes. If the mixture seems too liquid, remove the lid and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until the excess liquid has evaporated.