Spaghetti squash is one of the best pasta replacement in my opinion. So, when I saw a recipe on smilesandwich, all I wanted to do is try it with a few modifications. It’s now one of my favorite recipe and the kids love it!
It’s really not any more work than a regular lasagna except that instead of boiling the pastas, you simply need to cut the spaghetti squash in 2, lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, drizzle with olive oil and bake it in the oven at 350 for about 45 minutes. Once it’s cooked through, you just need to shred it with a fork and it’s ready to use! You can also prepare it in advance, say the night before. Once the spaghetti squash is done, the rest is quite easy and very quick to assemble.
I also found that it keeps very well in the refrigerator for a few days and that it is just as good as leftover to bring to work the next day!
Look at this yummy goodness!
- - 1 tbsp olive oil
- - 1 large onion, diced
- - 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- - 1 lb lean ground turkey
- - 1 tbsp flour
- - 2 cups of marinara sauce
- - 4 cups cooked roasted spaghetti squash
- - 1 1/2 to 2 cups of ricotta (part skim)
- - 1/2 cup feta cheese
- - 1 egg
- - 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- - 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- - 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- In a large pan, sauté the onions for about 2 minutes, then add the garlic and the ground turkey until brown. Spoon off excess liquid, sprinkle with flour and add in the marinara sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix the ricotta, feta, Italian seasoning and egg together.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon enough meat sauce in the pan to cover the bottom. Spread 2 cups spaghetti squash on top. Layer with the ricotta mixture and sprinkle half the parmesan on top. Cover with the remaining 2 cups spaghetti squash, the remaining meat sauce, and top it off with the rest of the parmesan and cheddar.
- Cover and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Broil for 5 minutes. Bon appétit!
- For an even healthier version, you can add some sliced mushrooms and diced red bell peppers when cooking the onions.