I don’t know about you but in my house breakfast can become quite repetitive. It’s a real challenge to add a bit of diversity when it’s so much easier to just reach for the sliced bread and peanut butter!
My daughters have also complained that they are tired of always eating the same thing for breakfast and I can see that it has an impact on their appetite. So, I have decided to take on the challenge of serving a different breakfast every day of the week. It shouldn’t be that difficult now should it? Ha! Believe it or not, this proved to be one of the biggest challenge for me in the kitchen. Not because the ideas, recipes and alternatives don’t abound everywhere, but simply because for me morning rimes with routine. It is time to change that! Also, I think that the lure of a fantastic breakfast (along with a strong coffee, let’s get real here!) might just be the motivation that my daughters and myself need to get up more easily in the morning…
A pretty obvious first choice for breakfast that comes to mind is a nice, healthy and hearty granola. However, I found that a lot of store bought alternatives are too sweet and very pricey.
This recipe will only take you minutes to prepare, will cost you a fraction of the cost and is very healthy since it only calls for a small quantity of raw honey. For strict vegans, you can always substitute the same quantity with pure maple sirup.
With a touch of sweetness and a lot of crunchy nuts, this skinny granola will curb your appetite and sustain you for hours. Serve with low fat greek yogurt and a few slices of bananas for a truly complete breakfast.
You can also add a bit of chocolate chip for a more decadent version ? !
This granola would also make for a fantastic hostess gift, in a beautiful mason jar decorated with rafia rubbans!
Stay tuned as I will be posting more breakfast recipes very soon!
- - 3 cups of rolled oats
- - 1 cup of raw almonds, chopped if desired
- - 1/2 cup of pecans, halved
- - 1 tsp salt
- - 1 tbsp of ground cinnamon
- - 1/2 tbsp of ground nutmeg
- - 2 tbsp of organic coconut oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
- - 1/2 cup of raw honey (or maple syrup)
- Preheat the oven at 300 F.
- Mix all the ingredients together with a wooden spoon or by hand.
- Spread evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20 minutes, stir a little and then for another 10 minutes.
- Let cool and store in an airtight container.
- The granola will keep for about 2 weeks in an airtight container.